How do you choose the right social media platform for your business?
You might get confused about which social media platform you should use for your business. With a lot of social media networks to choose from out there, you can narrow it down to the most popular and most widely used platforms that will work for you and your business.
Narrowing Down Your Choices…
First of all – there are way too many social media networking sites, and it is impossible to have a presence on all of them. It is more advantageous to spend your time better, focusing on the sites that get the most traffic.
The next question is… which social media site is for you? According to statistics – the top social media platforms are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest.
Determine What Channels Your Audience Is Already Using.
The trick to choosing the right social media platform for your business is all about confirming the goals you want to achieve through social media marketing and choosing a platform that matches the type of content you create.
Which Social Media Platform is for you?
Are you in the B2B or B2C space? What are your target demographics?
The breakdown below will help you decide…
- The largest social media platform, with over 2.74 billion monthly active users and this figure continues to rise at around 12% per year.
- Facebook is good for lead generation and the latest stats indicate that Facebook can reach 32% of the world’s population (aged 13 and older) when advertising on the platform.
- Facebook’s advertising platform can be highly customized to target very specific audiences. With its great “Facebook for Business” platform and analytics, you are able to track your success and engage with a massive worldwide audience.
- It is a good social media platform for building relationships, showing the human side of your business, and turning leads into loyal followers and customers.
- Different content types are appropriate for Facebook. The key is content that shows a different side of your company. Facebook (and Twitter) are both excellent for reaching large numbers of people.
- Interestingly, when compared to other social channels, Facebook has the highest penetration in rural areas.
- It is particularly important to be aware that people in emerging markets (Asia-Pacific, Brazil, India, and Indonesia) are more likely to message businesses via Messenger.
- Demographics: Facebook has a fairly even spread of users across most age groups between the age of 18 – 55+. Currently, the age range for Facebook’s advertising audience is 24% in the 18-24 range, 10.4% in the 45-54 range, and 10% in the 55+ range.
- Twitter is a constant flow of content.
- The type of content that works best on this platform is easily digestible textual content, such as different articles, news and quotations.
- Have a business that needs a channel for social media customer service? Twitter is the perfect space to create a dedicated service account to ensure your customer service team can respond quickly to incoming requests.
- Currently, 59% of Twitter users regularly get news from the platform, which is among the highest of all the networks.
- Text-based content performs the best on this social media platform. Users post about important and challenging topics, but they also use it for entertainment and timeout.
- Demographics: More than 80% of Twitter users are under the age of 50. Currently, 28.9% of Twitter’s audience is 25-34 years old, followed by 28.2% of users in the 35-49 age bracket.
- Most suitable for companies operating in the B2B space.
- The leading B2B channel for social media marketers. It offers a good space to represent your brand – especially if your goal is lead generation.
- An ideal social media platform for editorial content and it can help you establish your company as a trusted leader in your field.
- Add value to your connections by sharing great content that you create and discover. This builds authority for your brand and allows you to engage leads through conversations and grow your network.
- Demographics: 24% of users are 18-24 years old, with 27% of users 26-35 years old; 34% of users 36-45 years old; and 37% of users 46-55 years old. It is different from other social sites because more users are between the ages of 30 to 49 than users under 30.
- A mainly mobile photo-sharing network social media platform with 90% of users following brands.
- The latest research revealed that the top interests on Instagram are travel (45%), music (44%), and food and drink (43%).
- Gaining a strong network on Instagram is entirely based on visual presentation.
- Engaging and eye-capturing videos and images are a must – the more likely people will be to follow your account.
- In recent polls on content, users like to see brands post fun (55%), real (53%), and creative (53%) content.
- Demographics: 25-34-year-olds are the largest user group, followed closely by the 18-24-year old age group. And while men slightly outnumber women in these age groups, women outnumber men among users 35 and up.
- If you are in the B2C space, you should give Pinterest a try!
- The platform boasts 150 million users and is popular with individuals and businesses.
- Images are the name of the game, and this social media platform is great if you’re looking to drive sales.
- If you are a business trying to reach women, it is best to look at ways to use your brand to help users pin and plan by creating boards around specific life events.
- It’s a graphics-heavy platform. Pinterest lends itself to décor, food, art, fashion, wedding, travel, and other businesses that can leverage topics that produce beautiful and stunning photographs.
- Demographics: 71% of Pinterest users are females. 34% of Pinterest users are 30-49 years old, and 36% are 18-29 years old.
Let us know how we can help you!
We are here to assist you with great social media strategy and content.