Video has become one of the most effective marketing tools. Viewers are consuming video content more than ever before and this trend is only growing. With falling data costs, not only desktop/laptop viewers but also mobile users are consuming videos at an explosive rate.
Some studies suggest that by next year (2019) 80% of content consumed on the web will be video. Not hard to believe when YouTube is already getting more than 1 billion unique visitors who are watching 6 billion hours of video each month. Seems like a medium that needs to be taken seriously!
Given these statistics, using videos on your company website appears to be an obvious choice, but here are some more reasons why videos can help to improve your site.
Why should you use video on your website?
- Be unique: Videos can help your website to stand out and show your company’s unique “personality”. Viewers will be entertained, informed and are more likely to remember your business.
- Tell your story efficiently: Rather than having visitors read through large chunks of text, deliver your message quickly and efficiently through a video. Whether it’s a personal “about us” type of story, a product testimony or an educational clip, you can cram a lot more information into a short, interesting movie clip.
- Gain your viewers’ trust: Video helps viewers get to know, like and trust you. Being able to see and hear you as the business owner, your staff or others who are using your products/ services, allows people to connect with your business on a human level.
- Drive traffic to your website: Search engines love videos, and if you’ve used relevant keywords well in your video titles and tags, they will rank well on Google searches – meaning more traffic to your website.
- Increase your attentive reach: Not only do you want to reach a wide audience – you should also be focussing on capturing your viewers’ attention and retaining it. Videos keep people on your website longer and allow visitors to engage with your content, meaning the quality of your website traffic will be much higher.
- Encourage regular visits to your website: Regularly loading new videos on your website will keep viewers coming back to see what’s new, which again translates to more website traffic and keeps your content fresh and current.
Plan your video and message
The benefits of using short powerful videos on your website are evident and although it might seem daunting to produce or come up with something relevant for your company, it is actually easier than it seems.
- Firstly decide what your objective is: Do you want to increase your brand awareness, tell them about how to use your product or preview your event?
- Then start creating content: Think about the types of images, mood and message you would like to get across.
- Get the cameras rolling: Create the video, edit and optimize until you are happy with the end product.
- Consider using subtitles: a large number of users might watch your video or ad without sound, so keep them in mind.
A note about time: Keep it short!
Internet users of today have a short attention span, so loading long videos might actually be counterproductive. Of course, there are cases where the video should be longer and more informative, but keeping it short and sweet should not be underestimated.
A video clip of up to 30-seconds is about the ideal length to keep your viewers interested and get your message across for most purposes. In fact, the first 10 seconds are when a user decides if he wants to continue watching or not. It might seem short, but there is a surprising amount of information one can actually convey in that time.
How and where to use video marketing on your website
What to show in your videos?
- Promote a sale or special event. Let people know about these important dates and events.
- Give insight into your company. Show a virtual tour of your physical location, introduce your staff or document recent company activities.
- Demonstrate a product or service. Show how to use a product effectively, share feedback from a satisfied customer or explain a service. You could also encourage customers to make videos of themselves using a product.
- Share your expertise. It definitely helps to be known as an expert in your field. By sharing useful, educational clips on a certain topic you will increase website traffic substantially and elevate your company’s status.
Where to use videos:
- On the Homepage:
The homepage background or a clip embedded further down e.g. a testimonial of a happy client
- On the About Us, Our Team or Recruiting page:
Load a clip showing company culture and your team.
- The Product or Services page:
Show a product demo or advert/ explanation of your service.
- For your Google AdWords or social media ads and/or posts:
You can use video as a medium to engage your customers on Google AdWords. Or social media, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
Contact us if you would like to boost your website or social media ads with your videos and use this exciting medium to your advantage. We can also put you in touch with our videographer partners, depending on your requirements or budget.