How It Affects You
If your business is based in the European Union (EU), or if you process the personal data of EU citizens, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) affects you. It’s European legislation, but it also applies to any data you collect from European citizens.
Everyone whose data you collect must consent to you doing so. This doesn’t just apply to data gathered via forms, but also to data picked up in the background, such as IP addresses, if it’s used to identify an individual.
The GDPR says you must obtain freely given, specific, informed, and unambiguous consent from your contacts. You also must clearly explain how you plan to use their personal data.
- Right to access. Individuals will have the right to access to their data and to information on how it’s being processed and used.
- Right to be forgotten. An individual will have the right to have their data erased and for it to no longer be disseminated.
- You’ll also need to collect GDPR-friendly consent from the contacts you already have.
Elements that you would need to review and update:
- How you collect data via website forms (contact forms, newsletter signups, sales data, etc.)
- How you collect analytics data
- What you do with that data
- Where the data is stored
- How you communicate with your customers and contacts
- Check if your website code, themes or plugins are GDPR friendly
Please contact us should you transact or collect data from European customers or countries.
Azapi can review your website requirements, but we don’t offer legal advice.
Please contact your legal counsel to ensure you are complying with the full GDPR legislation if necessary.